Breakdown cover from an award-winning provider, from just £19.70 per year.

Get your quote

Motor Breakdown Assistance FAQ

Who is covered by a Coverwise Motor Breakdown Assistance policy?

Our policies are based on a single vehicle, not the driver.


The vehicle you choose to insure against breakdown will have cover no matter who is driving it, as long as they have a valid UK driving licence and are authorised to drive the vehicle by the owner.

What types of vehicle do you cover?

We offer breakdown cover for any private car or motorcycle that is permanently registered in the UK and meets the size requirements listed in our policy wording.


Unfortunately, we can’t provide cover for hire cars, taxis, minibuses, motorhomes, horseboxes or limousines.

Who will you send to repair or recover my vehicle if I break down?

When you let us know you’ve broken down, we’ll always contact the nearest available agent from our approved network of recovery operators across the UK and Europe.


Our network is continuously monitored to make sure they have the resources and qualifications needed to carry out the appropriate work on your vehicle to the highest possible standards.

How long will it take for help to arrive if I break down?

If you break down anywhere in the UK, we’ll aim to have someone with you in less than 50 minutes.


If you’re in mainland Europe, arrival times can vary depending on your location and the opening hours of garages in the country you’re visiting.

Where do I have breakdown cover under Coverwise Nationwide?

Our Nationwide cover includes anywhere in:


  • Great Britain
  • Northern Ireland
  • the Isle of Man
  • the Channel Islands

Where do I have breakdown cover under Coverwise European?

Our European cover includes anywhere in:


  • Andorra
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Bulgaria
  • Croatia
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • Finland
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Iceland
  • Italy
  • Latvia
  • Liechtenstein
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Malta
  • Monaco
  • Netherlands
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Romania
  • San Marino
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Vatican City
  • other islands that belong to these countries and that are in Europe

Can I upgrade my policy to a higher level of cover, midway through its duration?

You can contact us at any time over the duration of your policy if you’d like to upgrade to a higher level of cover, free of any administration charge.


The price of an upgrade is based on the amount of time left to run on your policy and the level of cover you’d like to upgrade to for that time.

Can I change the vehicle covered by my policy?

You can contact us at any time over the duration of your policy if you’d like to change the details of the insured vehicle, or switch to a different vehicle entirely.


We don’t charge any administration fee for changing the vehicle on your policy, but there may be a charge if you switch to an older or higher risk vehicle.

How do I renew my policy for next year?

Unless you tell us otherwise, we’ll aim to automatically renew your policy with the same details when it expires.


In all cases, we’ll email you before your renewal date to tell you about the price of your breakdown cover and any changes that may apply from when your policy is renewed.

Will I get a refund if I cancel my policy?

We will provide a full refund for your cancelled policy if all of the following apply:


  • the cancellation request is made within 14 days of purchasing your policy
  • your policy does not have any known, pending or completed claims against it
  • the vehicle insured by your policy has not departed on a trip to Europe

If you cancel your policy after 14 days of purchase, we can provide a proportional refund based on the amount of time left to run on the policy, as long as no claims have been made.

Can I make a claim straight after buying a policy?

The benefits of Local cover are available immediately, so you can make a claim under this section of your policy straight away.


You can find the full details and limits of Local cover in our policy wording.


All other policy benefits will not be in force for the first 24 hours after you first take out your cover.

Will my cover also apply to a caravan or trailer I'm towing?

If you break down while towing a caravan or trailer, we’ll recover both the vehicle and the caravan or trailer as long as it meets the size requirements listed in our policy wording.


If you’re travelling in Europe, repatriation of caravans, trailers and their contents is at our discretion if they are not attached to your vehicle at the time of your breakdown.

Broken down?

If you've broken down in the UK or Europe and need assistance, you can call our emergency UK helpline or report your breakdown online.

You'll need to provide your current location and your vehicle registration, make, model and colour. We'll also ask you what you think is wrong with your vehicle, so that our repairer will be better prepared to get you going again as quickly as possible.

Call our helpline

Our lines are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Report online

Report your breakdown online with the free AXA breakdown recovery tool, e-Rescue.